Altizure Converter is designed to suit the specific needs of each customer. It offers high quality, superfast and free conversion service that allows customers to smoothly convert the files into many other formats they want (.osgb .dae .stl .kml .ply).

• Supported Platforms
  • Where can I get the Converter?
  • What kind of files can Altizure Format Converter convert to?
  • Who should read this article?
  • Features of Altizure Converter
  • Input and Output Paths
  • Where to download the input OBJ files?
  • How to fix the missing or corrupted d3dcompiler_47.dll error when * installing Altizure Desktop on Windows 7?

Supported Platforms:

• Windows (64-bit)
  • macOS

Where can I get the Converter?

The Offline Converter is now available for Altizure Desktop (Windows 64-bit & macOS).
converter.png

Right now, Altizure users can use Offline Format Converter to convert .obj files into the following formats:

• .ply

PLY file is the abbreviation of Polygon File Format, which can store generic 3D model data. We use PLY format to store the point cloud (i.e. point coordinates, colors and normals) in the offline converter.

• .osgb

OSGB file is the abbreviation of Open Scene Gragh Binary, widely used by professionals in fields like photogrammetry and map surveying. It is a binary representation of the model with all textures contained within one standalone file.

• .dae

DAE file is also called COLLAborative Design Activity, a commonly-seen 3D file format. COLLADA is an XML-based schema that enables you to transfer data among 3D digital content creation tools.

• .kml

KML file is a 3D file format that includes geographic information, and can be loaded to Google Earth.

• .stl

STL files describe the surface geometry of a 3D object without any representation of color, texture or other common CAD model attributes. It is widely used for 3D printing or prototyping.

Who should read this article?

People who have specific needs of model format in their third party software for redevelopment. e.g. map surveying, animation or CAD.

Features of Altizure Converter

Type of Conversion: Full project
A whole project/ a bunch of .obj files can be converted into:

1. Select Type: OSGB
    full-osgb-4.png
    Input Path: The full path of the project folder that you want to convert. Normally, the input folder will be the folder that you unzip from “model.zip” downloaded from Altizure.

Output Path: The full path of the folder to which you want to export files. This could be either an existing folder or a non-existing one that the software will then automatically create.

Please notice: At the moment, Altizure Format Converter only supports the Input Path and Output Path in English. It would be better for users to name all the folders in English letters as well as numeric and special characters.

2. Select Type: Orthomap
    full-ortho-4.png

Maximum Resolution & Keep Original Resolution:

These two options affect each other. Maximum Resolution means that the maximum resolution of the output map should never exceed the value (default = 16384). The reason for such constraint is that for extremely big projects, it’s impossible to store a large orthomap/DSM into just one file (like city-scale project). So here in this case, you have two choices:

One is to lower the resolution of the orthomap/DSM so as to keep the file below the maximum resolution that you set. In another word, uncheck Keep Original Resolution and keep Maximum Resolution as default (or type in a desired value).

The second is to Keep Original Resolution and the software will automatically cut the original orthomap/DSM into several small pieces, with each piece under the maximum limit.

Why the maximum resolution is 16384 in default?

Before we explain why we set the maximum resolution as 16384, you need to first understand the concept of LOD and tile.

The image resolution for each tile is 512x512 pixels. As the OBJ file at LOD level 5 has 32 tiles on each side, we set the Maximum Resolution at 16384x16384 (because 512x32=16384). In this way, for the models at LOD level 5 or below, Altizure Converter can generate an orthomap in its original resolution.

1. Select Type: Merge

Merge simply means to merge a bunch of .obj files into one big .obj file.

More on tile_X or tile_Y
    full-merge-4.png
    ppt-tile.png

What is the biggest Block Size that I can set?

After reading the article on tile_X and tile_Y, you may now understand, the OBJ files that Altizure generates are named as tile_I_x_y. The first number (i.e. I) represents the level-of-detail (LOD). The second and third number (i.e. x, y) represent its x-y location in the model respectively.

At level I, the maximum number for x- and y-coordinates of each file should not exceed 2^(l+1). To explain it, let's take a Level-5 model as an example. For the files at LOD level 5, the x- and y-coordinates will not exceed 64 (i.e. 2^(5+1)=64). This means, if you want to merge all the OBJ files at level 5 into one OBJ, you can set the Block Size as 64, which is also the biggest Block Size that a computer can handle so far.

Please notice: Because of the RAM limit, it's difficult for the Converter to merge the OBJ files at high LOD levels into just one document. So, normally, in order to evenly cut the merged model into several pieces, we would recommend the ideal Block Size to be the power of 2 (i.e. 2^).

1. Select Type: KML
    full-kml-2.png

Type of Conversion: Single OBJ file

A single .obj file can be converted into:

1. Select Type: OSGB
    single-osgb-4.png
    Input Path: The full path of the .obj file that you want to convert.

Output Path: The full path of the folder to which you want to export files. This could be either an existing folder or a non-existing one that the software will then automatically create.

2. Select Type: DAE
    single-dae-4.png

3. Select Type: KML
    single-kml-5.png

4. Select Type: STL
    single-stl-4.png

5. Select Type: PLY
    single-ply-4.png

Input and Output Paths

If you want to convert a full OBJ project into other formats, you should select the input path of the folder where you put all your OBJ files. In this case, both the Input and output paths should end with a folder, instead of a file.

Example: for Full > Orthomap

The Input Path could be C:\Users\Altizure\Desktop\CYT model-2017

The Output Path could be C:\Users\Altizure\Desktop\CYT-Ortho

This means, CYT model-2017 is the input folder, while CYT-Ortho is the output folder.

However, if you just want to convert a single OBJ file, you need to select the specific file that you want to convert in the Input Path. While for the Output Path, you can select an export folder and the computer will automatically generate the name of the export file.

Example: for Single > DAE

The Input Path could be C:\Users\Altizure\Desktop\CYT model-2017\tile_0_0_0_tex.obj

The Output Path could be C:\Users\Altizure\Desktop\output.dae

Here in this case, C:\Users\Altizure\Desktop is the folder path that you select, while output.dae is the default name of the export file that Altizure Desktop automatically generates. You can rename the export file if you want, e.g. you can change it to C:\Users\Altizure\Desktop\Sketchup-output-1.dae or anything else.

Where to download the input OBJ files?

Upgrade to pro (you need to buy some alticoins), then download <project name>_model.zip. (Sample download files)

How to fix the missing or corrupted d3dcompiler_47.dll error when installing Altizure Desktop on Windows 7?

Please download and install kb4019990 from this website.